I Can’t do it Alone.

I can’t do it alone.

This isn’t a fact that I prefer to readily admit, although I am certain at least 89% of you whispered “duh” under your breath…while perhaps the other 11% remain as disillusioned as me and think “sure you can!”

Well I can’t.

In the last several years working with different homeless people and populations one thing has screamed out to me on more than one occasion; life was meant to be lived with others and true change rarely comes through one solitary person.

Teamwork makes the dream work, y’all.

It’s for this reason alone that I’ve come to learn I don’t hate raising support for my new job on Younglife staff. I’d be lying if I said I love the work that goes into it (excel and I don’t get along all too well), but I am learning that I LOVE what it represents; that we all have a role in this effort to care for kids without homes and that it isn’t a one (wo)man job.

Thus far, our team has raised roughly $24,000 in a little over a month. That money has come from forty-two of you that have said “yes! I want IN.” And I can’t begin to express what that means to me. Forty-two of you want to partner in this mission that my team and I whole-heartedly believe in.

When initially asked if I’d be willing to take on this role one of my first responses was, “Younglife staff can be really lonely- I don’t want to set out on a solo mission.” And I don’t have to, because, forty-two of you have offered to join me. Forty-two of you have reminded me that I am not alone- that we are doing this together in some form or fashion. That’s a pretty great support system, I’d say.

And that is not even accounting for the many who have offered to pray and follow along , which, while harder to calculate (I don’t have a spreadsheet for this yet 🙂 ) means just as much. I mean it, I can’t tell you how empowering it is to know that we are on your minds and hearts and that you too, long to love homeless kids in your own special way. What a freaking gift.

At present time we have a team of five folks on the ground who have offered their time, talents and love to homeless kids. Along with that, we have a school that serves exclusively homeless youth, opening their arms to us ready to help us make this a reality within their community and eventually launch us beyond their walls.

Have I mentioned I am really excited? Because I AM.

So more than anything, I want to say thank you. Thank you for believing in this crazy mission. Thank you for believing in me and this really great team I am working with. (Seriously, they are the best.)

The details are still fuzzy, but coming together so beautifully. I am honored to do this as my JOB (what?!) and I am humbled to do it alongside of all of you. Each one of you is a gift, a reminder that God is in the details, both big and small and on the days when things feel more hazy than others, to know I have an army behind me reminds me that this thing is good. So, so good.

And guess, what? Because of this, because of you all, I don’t feel so alone after all.

*If you missed older posts, you can read HERE how this whole thing started and HERE you will find a link to give if you feel so led.

2 thoughts on “I Can’t do it Alone.

  1. Yeah girl!! So excited for you and your team, because you definitely aren’t alone 🙂 praying for you guys!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s